Sunday, November 23, 2008

Chicken and sweet corn soup

I think I've been struck down with an infection of the sinus. I'm feeling rundown, exhausted, my nose won't stop running, extreme pressure in my sinus, and I have headaches that come and go. Yuck. So I figured I needed the age old remedy of some chicken soup to boost my immune system. Not sure of the health benefits of chicken and sweet corn soup, but it is one of my favourites. So I made it for myself today, and amazingly I am feeling a little better. If I wasn't sharing it with Dave I think I would have eaten the whole saucepan of soup. What a pig!

This recipe is based off one I found in one of my Chinese cook books. I remember the first time I made it and thought, this doesn't look or taste like my mum's. So I modded it. So whether it is the same as my mother's recipe, it certainly looks and tastes like it. And the other reason I like it is because it only takes about 15 minutes to prepare and cook. Who doesn't like a fast, yummy recipe?

Serves 2-4 (or 1 if you are a pig)

2 cups chicken stock
2 chicken tenderloins, sliced thinly
1 can creamed corn (approx 400g)
2 eggs
Soy sauce
Freshly ground black pepper
Shallots, chopped

1. In a medium saucepan, bring the chicken stock to the bowl
2. Add the sliced chicked and boil for a few minutes or until just cooked through
3. Add the can of creamed corn and stir
4. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer
5. Simmer for approximately 5 mins
6. Season with a splash of soy sauce and pepper to taste, and stir
7. Simmer for another minute or so
8. Crack one egg into the saucepan and stir in breaking up the yolk and whites so it looks like shreds
9. Repeat with the other egg
10. Simmer for another minute or so to heat
11. Serve in soup bowls
12. Top with shallots to garnish
13. Ready to eat!

No comments: