Saturday, November 22, 2008

Sherwin and Sang Boon's wedding checklists

This is a special post for Sherwin who is getting married to Sang Boon on the 3 January 2009 in Singapore. Dave has been given the honour of being Sherwin's best man, so we get to go to Singapore! I've never been before so am really looking forward to going. As part of my attempts to organise this trip (and Dave!), I had a big chat with Sherwin and Sang Boon at Timmy's birthday party at Sling Bar in West End about their wedding and what they need Dave to do. Sherwin suggested I post the questions I raised here on my blog.

So here you go Sherwin, kicking off...

Best Man Checklist

1. Will there be a wedding rehearsal, where and what time?

2. What time do you need Dave on the morning of the wedding? Traditionally, he would come over early and help you get ready. And as you are having a tea ceremony, he can help you with taking notes about what you get so that you can follow up post-wedding with thank-you notes. His other responsibilities will be to make sure you don't wear the loud sequinned, flashing lights suit that you've threatened Sang Boon with, calm your nerves, hold the rings and "get you to the church on time"!

3. What colour is Sang Boon's sister wearing? Maybe Dave's tie could match her dress?

4. What happens between the wedding ceremony and reception? Will you be taking photos? Will they include pictures of the bridal party?

5. Will you have speeches at the reception? If so, Dave will need to prepares something. Could I suggest that you tell everyone to limit their speeches to 2-3 minutes long? This helps keep fathers' speeches to a good time limit, because they usually like to waffle because they are so proud. Awwww.

6. Will you also be doing toasts?

7. Is Dave included in the Yum Sing tradition? I haven't been part of many Asian weddings where Yum Sing was a big part. And to be honest, I wasn't paying much attention to where the best man was while all that was going on!

8. Please provide Dave with a runsheet/itinerary so he knows where to be at what time!

9. Do you want a Buck's Party? I'm sure your Brisbane friends would totally get into this!

I think that's everything we talked about (and some more!).

And now, onto the MC. I've MCed quite a few wedding receptions, so it's old hat to me now! Here is my attempt to summarise the kinds of things I think about when I MC.

MC Checklist

1. The MC will need a runsheet of reception activities including the time courses are served, speeches, and any other activities eg outfit changes

2. The MC will need to arrive early and meet with the functions staff to (1) check the runsheet hasn't changed (2) collect any housekeeping announcements eg location of toilets, evacuation procedure, smoking areas

3. The MC should introduce him/herself to all speakers and entertainment eg band, DJ, as s/he is the glue that links everyone together.

4. Make sure you brief the MC on the "vibe" of the event, so s/he knows how to behave appropriately.

5. The MC starts by welcoming everyone to your wedding reception, shares housekeeping, thanks those who've come from a far and where they're from, reads "telegrams", announces what's coming up next and introduces all speakers in order to keep the party flowing. S/he should also assist with making any announcements you would like them to make.

And the final checklist. Here is a list of activities I've seen at receptions that you may want to consider for your reception:

Wedding Reception Checklist

1. Bridal Waltz
2. Speeches and toasts eg Bride and Groom, Parents of the Bride and Groom, Bridal Party or Bridesmaids and Groomsmen
3. Games to embarrass the married couple - I have an arsenal (well, a few!) if you need ideas
4. Tea Ceremony
5. Cutting the cake and photo opportunity for all your guests
6. Throwing the bouquet
7. Throwing the garter
8. Music and dancing
9. Good bye and well wishes circle

Wow, this is quite a post. I'm a bit of an organising/coordinating geek! There's probably more stuff that will come up, but I can't think of them all now. Sherwin and Sang Boon, if I think of anything else, I'll be sure to email or post. I hope you both aren't too overwhelmed! And of course, if you would like any other advice, please ask!

1 comment:

semiotech said...

This is great!

Now I can work on the details and get them to you and Dave.
Thanks soooooo much Joon!