Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Shu Mein or
Two Minute Noodle Soup

My friend Shu Min is going to Japan in a few weeks. When I invited him to check out my blog he told me that he'd find the recipes handy for when he moves unless he wants to eat instant noodles every night.

Instant noodles can be healthy too. So here is a recipe dedicated to Shu. May he be inspired enough to put more in his noodle soup than just what came in the packet!

Note, you can add or omit whatever meat and vegetables take your fancy. The veges featured in this recipe are what I had handy in the house. Not only was it tasty, but it looked super yummy in the bowl too. I love colourful food! And the coriander and shallots were a bit of treat. I don't usually have them lying around, but I really wanted them so I drove to the shop especially. So I suppose I could have picked up other vegetables as well. Anyway!

Serves 2

3 packets Maggi two minute noodles, Oriental flavour
2 chicken tenderloins, sliced
1 carrot
1/2 can whole baby corn, sliced in half lengthways
Handful of broccoli florets, chopped smaller
Soy sauce
Ground black pepper
Coriander leaves
Shallots, chopped

1. Bowl water in a kettle
2. In a microwave safe container put the 3 packets of noodles and cover with the boiling water; put the seasoning aside for later
3. Cook in the microwave on high for 1 minute
4. Stir the noodles to separate
5. Cook in the microwave on high for another minute
6. Remove the noodles from the container and share amongst your two bowls; retain the water
7. In the water, put the broccoli and carrots
8. Cook in the microwave on high for 1 minute (or longer if you like your veges mushy)
9. With a strainer, pick out the broccoli and carrot and arrange on top of the noodles; retain the water
10. In the water, put the chicken
11. Cook the chicken on high in the microwave for 3 minutes or until cooked
12. While the chicken is cooking, arrange the baby corn on top of the noodles
13. Season the bowl of noodles and vegetables with soy sauce and plenty of pepper
14. Once the chicken is cooked, arrange in the bowl with the noodles and vegetables; retain the water
15. Pour the contents of two seasoning sachets in the water and stir
16. Pour seasoned water into the noodle bowls
17. Garnish with coriander and shallots
18. Ready to eat!

4 comments:

semiotech said...

Lavish noodles! I should give it a go myself. Sang Boon will appreciate the change from just chicken breast to chicken breast with noodles.

minwye said...

So, how many minutes does that make? Its definitely more healthy than my usual.

I end up resort to putting in *insert type of seafood/meat* balls(fish balls, cuttlefish balls, prawn balls, beef balls) from the asian grocers with a side of kimchi(vege is good :p) just to get away from the boring norm of instant noodles!

Unknown said...

Haha having lived for 25 years on this planet I've heard my fair share of "Shu" jokes, but I think this is the first time someone has incorporated the entirety of my first name into a single gag. Shu Mein! I am honoured!

I'll definitely give this a go when I'm in the Land of the Rising Noodle, and, if possible, tell you how it went down afterwards. Thanks Joon!

Joon said...

Minwye, yes there are lots of variations to this recipe. Depending on how many "extras" you want to throw in and what they are will extend the cooking time. But generally this takes about 15 mins to make.

And Shu, I'm glad you liked the gag. It would be nice to hear from you if you get a chance!