Monday, November 17, 2008

Stormy Weather Frittata or
Spinach, Mushroom and Tomato Frittata

It was a dark and stormy night, and I had no idea what had just unfolded across the streets of Brisbane. The afternoon had been hot and humid and I decided that I wanted some airconditioning. So Dave and I took a trip to Chermside to take the edge off. We hung around in Borders until they closed at 6.30pm, happily browsing, and completely oblivious to the raging storm outside. When we emerged from the bowels of Chermside at closing time, we noticed that the road was wet. I remarked, "It must have rained!" What an understatement!

It wasn't until we were driving down my street when we noticed that all the houses were dark. All I could think was, oh no, the power is out, how am I going to cook that Mushroom and Tomato Frittata I'd seen on the net!

Once inside, the torches were out and candles were lit. Dave called his brother and found out that we had missed one of the most awesome summer storms Brisbane has seen in years. We couldn't believe that we missed it.

Powerless and hungry, and all thoughts of baking a frittata in the oven out the window, but still craving something just as light and yummy, I decided it was time to improvise. Thank god for gas stoves and matches!

Cooking by candlelight, here is my Stormy Weather Frittata, based on one of my favourite recipes, Roast Tomato Frittata from Real Living magazine, Oct 2006, and the Mushroom and Tomato Frittata I'd been checking out. And considering I couldn't really see, I thought it turned out quite tasty. Maybe next time I'd put in a little more camembert and tomato.

And I imagine this dinner would taste just as good in sunny weather!

Thank you Dave for the photo.

Serves 2 with leftovers

Spinach, Mushroom and Tomato Frittata
100g baby spinach
4 mushrooms sliced
1 roma tomato, halved and quartered lengthways
1/2 red onion, sliced
1/2 round of camembert, diced
6 eggs
2 teaspoons of minced garlic, or 2 garlic cloves
1 cup soy milk
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Garden Salad
250g mixed salad leaves
Red onion, sliced
Cucumber, sliced
Roma tomato, diced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Balsamic vinaigrette
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
3 tablespoons virgin olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

1. Whisk eggs, soy milk, and garlic until combined. Season with salt and pepper
2. In a large non-stick fry pan, heat some olive oil on low
3. Add spinach, mushrooms and red onion and stir quickly
4. Place tomato and camembert on top of spinach, mushrooms and red onion
5. Pour over egg mixture
6. Cook the frittata on a low heat so it doesn't burn until almost set. Then put a lid on the fry pan to cook through
7. Prepare the garden salad in a large bowl. Mixed leaves on the bottom, place red onion, tomato and cucumber on the top. Season with salt and pepper
8. In a jar pour balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Screw on the lid, and shake vigourously until combined
9. Once frittata is cooked through, turn off heat and set aside for a few minutes
10. Slice into quarters and serve
11. Serve with garden salad and balsamic vinaigrette drizzled over the top
12. Ready to eat!

No comments: