Monday, November 10, 2008

Chicken, pumpkin and spinach penne

There's nothing like going to an almost empty fridge and making up a recipe with whatever I can find in there! Tonight I had some old pumpkin, a handful of onions and leftover roast chicken. I was in the mood for pasta, so thought I'd make up a recipe to try out on my boyfriend and flatmate. I based this recipe off the Pumpkin Sauce Penne from fxcuisine.com. It went down a treat so will make this again. Just wish I'd thought to take a photo of it. Oh well, there's always next time!

I think leaving the chicken out would make a nice vegetarian option. And for dairy-free, substitute milk with soy milk, and omit the parmesan.

Oh, I cook pretty intuitively too. So my quantities are a bit vague!

500g penne
500g butternut pumpkin
2 medium brown onions
2 cubes of frozen spinach (Coles brand)
Left over roast chicken
Nutmeg
Black pepper
1 cup of milk
Parmesan cheese
Large pot
Wok or large pan

Serves 3-4

1. Fill large pot with water and bring to the boil; add penne and cook as per instructions on packet
2. While penne is cooking, peel pumpkin and onion. Remove fleshy bits and seeds from pumpkin. And slice.
3. Slice the leftover chicken.
4. Steam pumpkin in the microwave for 3 minutes (less if you prefer pumpkin chunkier)
5. Heat oil in the wok
6. Saute onion until soft, not brown
7. Add pumpkin to the wok and turn
8. Defrost spinach in the microwave as per instructions on the packet
9. Add spinach and chicken to the wok and turn
10. Add nutmeg and black pepper (if you wish) to pumpkin, onion, spinach and chicken to taste. Turn all ingredients.
11. Add enough milk so that the sauce is a little creamy; reduce heat to keep warm until penne is al dente
12. Drain al dente pasta, then add to the wok and turn
13. Add parmesan cheese, as much as you like to taste, and mix
14. Ready to eat!

No comments: