Saturday, November 15, 2008

Sweet Chilli Nachos

It took me a few days to actually get around to making this. I went shopping for the ingredients on Monday and didn't get to it until Saturday! A little slack I know.

Being a bit of a chilli wuss and unimpressed by the lack of vegetables traditionally contained in nachos, I modded this Beef Nachos recipe in an attempt to trick myself into thinking that nachos can be healthy and un-Mexican.

Postview, it was sweet, tasty, not too chilli and very filling. Next time, fresh avocado is definitely in order to reduce the cream (read fat) content. And I really liked the addition of coriander giving the nachos a fresh taste.

And this time, I remembered to take a photo! Thanks to Dave for being my photographer and guinea pig for my cooking experiments.

Note, the quantities are guestimates. For some of these ingredients I have no idea how much I put in as I put in as much or as little to taste to my liking. So get in touch with your inner chef and cook without measuring! Good luck.

Serves 2

1 medium onion finely chopped
200g beef mince
150g kidney beans from can
1 medium carrot finely diced
1/4 medium capsicum finely diced
1/2 packet of 35g taco seasoning
1 tablespoon tomato paste
Sweet chilli sauce, as much as you like to taste
1/8 cup water
1/4 cup coriander leaves
1/2 packet 230g corn chips
1/2 cup tasty cheese
1 roma tomato diced
1/2 container of avocado dip or mashed avocado
Sour cream

1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees celsius
2. Heat some oil in a large non-stick frying pan or wok
3. Cook onion for 2 minutes or until soft
4. Add mince and stir with a wooden spoon for 5 minutes or until browned
5. Add kidney beans, carrot and capsicum and stir for a few minutes
6. add taco seasoning and stir in
7. Add tomato paste, sweet chilli sauce and water and stir in
8. Reduce heat and simmer until thick
9. Stir in coriander
10. Arrange corn chips on a heat proof place
11. Top chips with mince and cheese
12. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until hot
13. Top with tomato, avocado and sour cream
14. Ready to eat!

No comments: